Sibford Gower and Burdrop
Situated on a hill, Sibford Gower is twin to its smaller sister village, Sibford Ferris on the other side of the nearby Sib valley. Between the two villages by road is the hamlet of Burdrop.
The unusually shaped Manor House in Sibford Gower was built in the 17th century and substantially remodelled between 1907 and 1915 by Frank Lascelles, a pageant master, artist and sculptor, and a blue plaque has been erected in commemoration at the entrance to the house.
Sibford Gower became associated with clock-making in the seventeenth century when Quaker Thomas Gilkes, a local man, became a clockmaker. Gilkes pioneered a clockmaking industry in north Oxfordshire villages with such success that Quakers, including several further members of the Gilkes and Fardon families, dominated the trade in parts of the district for the next 150 years.
Between Sibford Gower and Sibford Ferris, and also on a hill, is the small hamlet of Burdrop a quarter of a mile east of Sibford Gower on the road to Sibford Ferris.
Holy Trinity Church, the Sibford parish church, is on the edge of Sibford Gower close to Burdrop. The church was built in 1840. Near the centre of the village is Sibford Methodist Chapel and a little further down the hill is the Quakers' Friends Meeting House.
Sibford Gower and Burdrop are about 6.5 miles west of Banbury, close to the county border with Warwickshire.