Much of the hill-top village of Leafield is spread around a large village green at the western end of the village, and really the village green dominates the village. Until the mid-19th century Leafield was surrounded by the Wychwood Forest. Now the village is surrounded by a patchwork of fields although a small area of forest still exists at nearby Cornbury Park.
The village church is the Church of St. Michael and All Angels, built in the mid-19th century. Near the church is a medieval preaching cross which was renovated in 1873 when a new shaft and top were added as a thanksgiving for the village escaping a smallpox epidemic.
Leafield is midway between the valleys of the Rivers Windrush and Evenlode, about 4 miles north-west of Witney.